Friday, September 19, 2014

Autumn Grace smocked dress


I am done with my Autumn Grace dress for the Smock-a-long!! If your in the Facebook group you have already seen it but for those of you who are not here it is!! I cannot tell you ladies how much I enjoyed sewing this dress. It has been over a whole year since I have last tried my hand at smocking and I once again have been bitten by the smocking bug, thanks to Laura Johnson!!  



I love the simple style of the peasant top with the smocked insert and ruffles. I really love this dress!  



This is a close up of the smocked insert I made, yes I really smocked this!! (I can hardly believe it myself) I love the detail of the satin ribbon too. I did have to go back and tack in the ribbon on the smocking. I am not sure if it's because it's satin and slips easily or not but it was rolling a bit when she wore this dress and the tacking fixed that problem right up.



Sweet pea is as smitten as I am with this dress. It's her new "princess" dress she tells me. We have it hanging were we can see it at all times too. ;-)



I love the clever design of the back as well. This dress slips on over the head with elastic gathers in the back bodice to keep that nice well fitted look in the front as well as the back.



This dress looks like the pattern was made just for her! If you are looking for the pattern you can find it here on Craftsy for $4 right now. It includes the smocking instructions as well and the smock-a-long  is still going on till the October 1st if you want to join in.

Sharon







5 comments:

  1. You did an EXCELLENT job on the smocked insert. Love how Sarah calls it her princess dress…and she does look like a princess! The colours look so good on her.
    I find smocking so relaxing and addictive too! Hopefully soon you'll get a pleater of your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb! I have more smocking projects started too, they are for my sweet little boy. he is getting a pictured smocked of Olaf the snowman. Hopefully it goes well.

      (I was going to make Sarah a smocked dress for Halloween but she changed her mind again. It was going to be a totally over the top Pink-a-lious costume. It had been her first choice and I was really looking forward to it as well. Win some lose some).

      Delete
  2. I think I told you on Facebook 20 times how much I love this dress but I thought I'd go 21 times. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Thank you!! I have it hanging in the living room when she is not wearing it, I really love than much myself. ;-) I am going to make her an Easter "fun" dress with the same pattern after I finish up all my Holiday sewing, A.K.A. Halloween and Christmas.

      Delete
  3. This is just ... excellent! Man, I really want to learn to do smocking on pleated fabric like this! My first attempts looked like a hot mess and I put them down and didn't finish. But I know I just need more practice. So pretty! I love the ribbon! And the shape of the dress just really suits Sweet Pea!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments