Sunday, September 15, 2013

A Butterfly Dress

 
This weekend I was able to get to some much needed sewing and I finally finished Sweet pea's butterfly catching dress. I started it a while ago but it wasn't until G needed a Monarch Butterfly Caterpillar for school did I pull it back out to finish it. She did ask so sweetly for me to finish it too.
(This is her "Butterfly cove" as she calls it. So many butterflies to catch and chase here.)

 
The main fabric is a gift form my grandma Day, it is very hard to see here but the all the butterflies have the gold metallic outline to them, oh so pretty in the sunshine! The bias is left over from the massager bag Sweet pea and I made my Aunt this year. I bought a yard of fabric but did not realize at the time how far that it would go for bias, which is a very, very long way! The fabric has this very lovely drape to it and works so well this dress pattern.

 
I finally used my Oliver + S Pinwheel dress and tunic pattern for this so it counts as pattern busting too! I love, love this pattern! Very easy to sew with very lovely results. I just adore the flounces!

 
For the slip dress I used a solid blue Kona fabric, the very same as her Periwinkle costume from last year. I got this idea from a flicker friend, Tamara. I loved the one she made her daughter.

 
I also made Sweet pea matching hair bows this time. The pattern is a free printout from Oliver + S. It's super easy and quick to make. I will have to make her more of these!

 
No we didn't go alone, we took daddy and three brothers with us. We all enjoy walking down to the pond. It's so lovely and peaceful.

 
I am not always able to get good photos of the older boys but today I did, at least I love these photos.

 
I love this one, it is not always that these kids get along so I do enjoy it when they do. : D

 
I also love, love the way this dress looks from the back...

 
Even if I only see it for a moment!
 
 
Next up, finishing up G's hunting shirt and pants. I found the camo brushed twill that looks just like his grandpa's shirt. I love the way it feels, so soft and warm. Until then,
 
happy Sewing!
 
Sharon
  

4 comments:

I would love to hear your comments