Monday, April 22, 2013

Vintage Style Romper

 
Last Friday I received my Sew Beautiful Magazine and fell in LOVE with the romper on the front cover! A vintage style romper with pleats was just calling my sewing machine names! I had to make one for Sweet pea right then and there. Well first I finished up my chevron skirt then I started this. : )

 
Lucky for me I had this fabric and lace already here at the house on hand. It was for a Play date dress but I though it would work very well for this pattern. I think that there might still be enough left over for the play date too, or maybe a Tea party dress? Anyway, I also had the buttons here from my grandmother. They are vintage MOP buttons. They were a bit dusty but cleaned up very well and look better than brand new. I have been hording these for just the right dress. : )

 
I can't say that I followed the pattern to a T. I not sure if I was reading it wrong or it was a miss print but the back bodice was to be cut in two pieces, main and lining and the pattern seem to read as though it was a four back bodice pattern pieces. I could have very well been me  though seeing I was sewing with four children running around the house and a baby pulling at the foot pedal cord the entire time I was working on this. Other that it wasn't bad to sew, quite fun! The back placket was something new I tried. It is all hand stitched and looks so dreamy when finished! 
(see picture below) 

 
The pleats are even on the back! Can you see the back seem? Nope, only pleats? Yep, I love that too! ; )

 
This little girl loves it. She thinks it's still a dress but oh well it still very sweet on her. It's nice and roomy for play but looks so dressy that she could wear it to church. I think I will add side pockets to the next one too.

 
Here's a peek at the inside back placket. You can't see barley a stitch. I maybe a nerd but I think this is so cool!
 
 
We will see later!
 
Happy Sewing!
 
Sharon
 
 
Linking up to
125

10 comments:

  1. Love it! That was my favorite garment in this issue, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabric and trims are just perfect for this little playsuit! Charming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Lucky for me I had everything on hand, I couldn't wait to make this.

      Delete
  3. Love it! Beautiful work! My copy of the magazine has been sitting on the kitchen table and I've been eyeballing that sweet little romper! I love that I got to see someone actually try it! Absolutely precious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just love this magazine! Next on my list is the two grasshopper boy outfits as soon as I finish the pile of already cut out clothes. I am so excited to start these!

      Delete
  4. It's gorgeous, Sharon! When I first saw the pictures on flickr I thought it was a dress. Those pleats are divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these pleats! It really does look like a dress until she starts walking, so lovely for the playground and outings.

      Delete
  5. This is super cool!
    I'll definitely be giving it a try for my girl - I love vintage patterns and this one looks also very well-constructed.
    Your fabric and trim choices are fab! (as usual...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The pattern is so lovely put together. It has such neatly finished insides. The bottom placket looks as though there is not a stich holding it together, I just love it! and the way the back pleats meet in the center are so clever!

      Delete

I would love to hear your comments