Friday, April 5, 2013

A fairy tale fit for a Princess!

 
It's done! Sweet pea's Easter dress is finally done! I was so nervous making this dress and now I am so happy how it came out. : )
 
  fairy tale dress sewing pattern
 
This year Sweet pea requested this dress that was in the Sew Beautiful magazine. I was sure to place an order first thing on March 1st. Well their computer's had a glitch and it was not realized until there was not any of the kits left. After panicking and a bit a freeking out I sat down and began to think. Tamara, a good friend, has taken a few Oliver + S patterns added smocking to the patterns so I thought that maybe I could do the same with the Fairy tale dress too. I emailed her and she talked me through how to this or I would not have been able to make this dress at all! Big thanks Tamara!!!

 
I used the same smocking plate as in the magazine and ordered the same Swiss trim too. I used white fabric from the local store and made my own piping to match the original dress. I was going to make the bullion roses on the dress too but I had a problem, as in I can make them on flat fabric but not so good on the pleated fabric. I deiced to leave them off her dress so that way she would have a finished dress this year. ; ) I did add the bullion roses to collar though. : )

 
To change the bodice of the Fairy tale dress pattern to make room for the smocking as the Sew Beautiful dress I first made my bodied pattern into two pieces, adding a 1/2" seam allowance to both. I cut the bodice at the notch on the arm cycle. I then added the skirt length to the bodice, taking off the 1/2" seam allowance for both so the length would be the same as the pattern calls for. I then x3 the width to get the fabric the right size for smocking. I wouldn't be lying if I did tell you that I was a total wreck smocking this thinking it might not work. Lucky it did. : )

 
The back of the dress is as is in the pattern. I used the pink gingham for the sash. I love, love the sash on this dress! The trim goes around the entire dress too. It even matched where the seam is! No this was not planned. I though about it but was afraid that it would come out off even if I tried. It was a very happy surprise for me.

 
The dress has a Caroline under it so it makes it a lovely twirly dress. Perfect for a princess dress so I am told. I love the fullness it adds to the dress.

 
The most important part of this dress is that Sweet pea loves it. She really loves it! I called it her Easter dress the whole time I worked on this but when she seen it done she declared it was a princess dress for her. She even squealed when she seen it. That made this mama feel so very happy! She had to twirl in it to show that it was princess dress.

 
In the end I couldn't be any ,ore pleased on how this dress came out but I think it will be a little while before I dive into a dress with this many rows of smocking. I think I will have to keep practicing my bullion roses so that I can make her another one next year too.

 
Next up the boys and a family picture!
 
Sharon

16 comments:

  1. I'm so speechless!
    it's a stunning dress! You did an amazing job with the smocking and all the tiny details (and it's even more impressive considering all the other gorgeous clothes you did for Easter. You're amazing!!)
    This one will be a keeper for future generations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I couldn't be happier with the results of this dress. I feel like such a beginner at smocking. I think I just need to make a few more smocked outfits for the little ones.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sharon, this one is beautiful, a true princess dress just truly fitting for your own sweet princess! I am very impressed by the wonderful smocking and the lovely big bow at the back. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol! Sweet pea has been wearing this every time she watches her princess shows. I think this is the best complement I could get from her. : )

      Delete
  3. Wow, Sharon!! I agree with Ana Sofia...this one is an heirloom that you should keep forever. I am so impressed with your smocking skills.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much! I am not as good as you at the smocking. I can tell you that this will go in frame on the wall after she out grows it. ; )

      Delete
  4. This is WONDERFUL! You did such a great job of combining the two patterns! And I have EXACTLY the same problem with bullions on pleats. Have you ever tried cast-on flowers? I find those to be easier than the bullions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't tried those yet. The bullion ones seemed so hard to do and not flatten the pleats. I'll have to try them. :)

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful version of the dress - and such a cute princess you have as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I'll have to make one more in different colors for her.

      Delete
  6. Darling dress! I love all the pretty details!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That smocking and the hem are gorgeous(!) as is your model. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dress is so pretty, good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful smocking. You have created a garment to keep. Wouldn't it be fun to see her daughter wearing that dress one day?
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This is truly amazing. I Ann so amazing that you went ahead and did it despite the sewing kit frustrations. You did an incredible job modifying a different pattern to get a similar look. I love it so much and I am amazed by your smocking. your hand stitching puts mine to shame (http://shaffer-sisters.blogspot.com/2013/04/concentric-circle-dress.html)
    -Al @ Shaffer Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh,my! This dress is just gorgeous! I love the smocking, the color, the sleeves, the big contrast bow, and the full skirt with that pretty trim. I am impressed that you forged on and combined patterns and proceeded without the kit you desired. The dress will be a keepsake for her own children some day. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments