Tuesday, June 3, 2014

What can you make with left over farbic?


I recently made myself a dress using the Cloud 9 fabric Palos Verde but I saved every bit of scrap fabric from the left over pieces. I really don't ever buy fabric that cost this much but it was for a very special dress for myself and I don't ever order anything like this for me so I didn't want to throw a bit of it out. So I pulled out one of Sarah's favorite patterns,  the Oliver + S Fairy tale dress and worked some magic!

I was very careful in how I laid out the pieces, I did shorten the skirt a bit and made a narrow hem on it instead of the lovely hand stitched hem the pattern calls for but it was all worth it because it worked out! As you can see she is pleased as punch with these dresses too.   



Other than the hem I did stick to the pattern this time around. I did leave of the tulle for the slip to keep the dress light and airy. This is also the very first Fairy tale dress that I was able to sew in day, I was very happy and surprised I was able to do this! I guess it gets easy to make with each dress. ; )  

But wait there is more! Ella has a new matching dress too! I was able to size down the Fairy tale dress to fit her as well. I am pretty happy with the fit but I want to rework the collar some more, the final one on this one is still a bit big I think. (But at least it has a nice shape to it)



The Fairy tale pattern and this fabric were made for each other! I just love the way this dress looks on my baby girl. She looks so much older in I think. *sniff, sniff* She has grown so much.

Now I think Sweet pea and I need a mommy daughter date to show off our matching dresses!

Sharon







10 comments:

  1. All three girls will match. And I know just the perfect cardigan Sweet Pea might need to wear with this lovely, lovely dress on a chilly evening :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes indeed it would! I am going to start on it this weekend, fingers crossed it comes out half as good as yours!

      Delete
  2. It's so lovely Sharon, and the doll dress is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, the doll dress was so quick sew, I guess because it's so small.

      Delete
  3. This is so pretty and delicate. The perfect fabric for a little girls dress.
    In the last photo, it almost looks like she has got a bob. Wouldn't she look sweet! My daughter consented to 3 inches off but no more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! We are planning on getting a bob heir cut for her but we just have not made it yet. She hates her hair pulled up so I think it will suit her really well, thank you!

      Delete
  4. This is such a pretty dress, and you must have been very careful with the scraps to squeeze out a dolly dress too! The picture of Sweet Pea with her matching dolly just kill me with sweetness. I remember being the age where nothing in the world would have delighted me more than a matching dress for my doll!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's careful cutting baby! ; ) I am really surprised it worked for to make that many dresses out if it, I still have some smaller scraps left I am going to try and make one more thing. Since this wee little dress Sarah has request a few more matching outfits for the two of them so I will see how I do on those.

      Delete
  5. so so sweet! I love the matching. I want to try to make a matching bubble dress if I have enough scraps.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments