Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Advent Christmas Stockings

Here is our Advent calender, I just finished it tonight. I have been wanting to make one for a couple of years but didn't have the time. (I was working full time and then some.) I thought last night "how cute would it be to make an advent calender with mini stockings". I had all the fabric I needed at the house so I didn't have to go buy any.

Here is what you'll need:
About 2 1/2 yards of main fabric
scraps of fabric for the cuff
1 spool of 1/4" white ribbon
1 sheet of red felt
mini stocking for pattern
thread

sew with a 1/4" seam allowance


Step 1: trace around the stocking, adding a 1/4" seam allowance for sewing. You will 4 pieces for each stocking; the front, back, and two for the inside liner. Cut 24 sets of stocking out. I folded my fabric in half twice so I cut out one whole stocking at a time. (the one fold at center then the salvage at the other end, then fold again.)


This is what it will look like when you get them cut out.




 Step 2: cut out the numbers from the red felt, 1 through 24. I drew on the felt with my fabric marker free hand then cut them out. Sew all the numbers onto the stockings. I used my sewing machine.  


 Step 3: layer the stocking front and back with right sides together. Layer the lining of the stocking with right sides together. Now stack them on top of each other. pin in place, stitch.

Turn right side out by separating the front of the stocking from the back. When you turn the lining of the stocking seams will be in the middle of the stocking with the seams of the front and back of the stocking. ( see photo below) Continue until all 24 are stitched together.


Step 4: to cut the cuff for the stocking, cut out a piece of fabric 3 1/2" wide. Next measure it against the stocking with adding a 1/4" seam allowance for sewing and cut out. Sew the cuff into a circle band then fold in half with wrong sides together and press in place.



 Step 5: cut the ribbon 4" long. Place the cuff into the inside of the stocking with raw edges together, now place the ribbon between the cuff and the stocking, pining into place. sew around. turn cuff to the outside of the stocking. repeat for the rest of the stockings. Now you are done!

 Here is what the top/ inside of the stocking will look like finished, no raw edges or seams.

I hung mine from the mantle with a thin garland. Each stocking has a treat and a Bible verse inside.
Happy Sewing!Linking up to Tea Rose Home

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments