Sunday, December 5, 2010

Super Hero Cape

 For Christmas I made my husband's nephew, who is 2,  a super hero cape. (my model here is my youngest son). I am going to make my three boys one too but it will have to be late night when they are sleeping. ;)
I used a old cape from a Halloween costume from a few years ago as my pattern. The bottom of the cape measures 20 1/2" before sewing together and tappers down to 8" at the neck with a hole cut out 3 1/2" for the neck.  ***sew with 1/4" seam allowance***


You'll need 2 yards of fabric
scraps of yellow and red
heat and bond
thread
 First cut out the cape front and back. Here I used an old cape for my pattern and added a 1/4" for seam allowance.
 Next cut out the diamond shape and the letter, I made a N for his first name initial. To made the diamond I cut out a shape 8" across by 6 1/2" long. Then measured 4 1/4" across the center top. To cut out the slants to form the diamond shape measure 3" from the top down.

Use the heat and bond to instructions on the yellow and red fabrics. Cut out the diamond shape and the letter initial. I free hand the letter but you can enlarge a font from your computer. First iron on the diamond and sew around with red thread, I used a very close zig-zag stitch.  Next iron on the letter and sew around it the same as diamond.
 Then cut out the ties for around the neck. cut two 19"x 2". Fold in half and press, sew one short end and then down the lenght. turn and press.
 Place the ties to the top of neck with the raw edges of the ties over lapping just a bit. Pin the ties in place as not to sew over them when the front and back are sewn together. Pin the front to the back with right sides together. Sew around with leaving a 4" space at the bottom open for turning. clip bulk around neck. Turn and press.



 Stitch the opening at the bottom up and around the whole cape with 1/8" seam allowance.  That's it and your done! A super hero cape any little boy would love!


Happy sewing!  linking up to:





2 comments:

  1. Oh I love this! What little boy wouldnt love this cape? Would you mind linking this up on my Baby & Child Gift Idea link party?

    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just signed up to follow you...saw your cape on Made by You Monday! So cute - can't wait to make it for my two year old1

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments