Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Quilted Bird Mobile Tutorial

I have been meaning to put this tutorial up for two weeks now but just now I am finding time to post it. I have been crazy busy lately! 
I made Sweet pea a little bird mobile for her room, I used only scraps of fabric to make the whole thing too! I used left over fabric from pillow, Easter dress and her ruffle apron. It is a great way to start to destash my scrap supply. :)


Supplies needed:
embroidery hoop
scrap fabric
fusable fleece
thread
ribbon
heat and bond light
hot glue

1; cut little strips of fabric 2"x 1 1/2". Sew together useing a 1/4" seam alowance. Sew the strips of fabric until it is long enough to wrap around the embroidery hoop.

Press the seams all to one direction.

2;
I used this tutorial here to make the birds. (the same as on her pillow). Stop before you sew on the wings though!! Make 8 birds.

3; Now onto the wings, when you trace out the wing trace out eight front sides of the wing pattern (side 1) and the flip over the pattern and trace the back side again eight times (side 2).

4; Iron on the wing onto side 1 of a bird and stitch around it.

Flip the bird over and iron on the wing 2, be sure to place it over the back stitching form the front side so to cover the stitching up from the front side. (see photo below)


Now stitch around the front side again following the same stsiching as the first time front wing was sewn. This will satitch the side 2 wing into place.
Repeat with the other seven birds.

5; Take the sewn strips of fabric abd the outside part of the embroidery hoop in hand. Run a bead of hot glue around the outside of the hoop gluing the strips of fabric in place.



6; Now working on the inside of the outside hoop only, run another bead of hot glue around the inside, glueing down the top of the fabric strip the whole way around.


7; Now run another bead of the glue to glue down the other open side of the fabric strip.



8; Now take the inside hoop and measure around, marking the four places where the ribbon hanger will go. My hoop in 28" so my marks are 7" apart.


Cut four pieces of ribbon 24". Hot glue the four ribbon ties on. Glue them on first to the inside of the hoop with the ribbon gong sdown to the floor then glue the ribbon to the outside of the hoop by bringing the ribbon up.



 Tie all the ribbon pieces together, then tie into a bow for the hanger.

9; Now take some white thread and cut 4 pieces 16" and 4 pieces 28". These are going to be used to hange the birds to the mobile.
Take one bird on hane a needle with one thread in it and run the thread through the middle back of the bird.


Take both ends of the thread and then tie them toghter. Repeatr with the rest of the birds.

10; lay the birds out how you want them to be placed onto hoop, alternating the short and lond threaded birds.

Glue the birds on with two birds between each ribbon space.

Take your outside hoop with the fabrib strip on it and place it over the inside hoop and tighten the screw up as far as it will go.

All that needs to be done is to tie a big bow around the screw on the hoop. Now your finshed!! Hang and enjoy!

Sweet pea does love her little birds in her room. (don't mind the unfished walls, we need to put up the crown molding still). she keep coming into my sewing room and grabing the birds and running of with them, lol. I think I will make up a few more birds for her to play with. ;)


Happy Sewing!

Sharon

6 comments:

  1. This is so sweet! Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is perfection! I love birds... wow... those fabrics are gorg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! My friend's baby girl is Ava and I've been looking for a bird project to make for her. I can't wait to make this. I found it on Living w/ Punks. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute! I love how you covered the embroidery hoop and used that to hang the birds from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a darling mobile. Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is great to hang over the bed of a bed bound person. great gift for Grandma!! Thank you...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments